Did I mention?

This blog contains commentary on my life at college and at home. I have been recently including my pursuit for a better resident life here at my own school. This will be an ongoing theme among many posts intertwined with various other issues.

Monday, November 08, 2004

Senior privileges

Today I attempted to walk past security to go back to my backpack which was on a bench along side another student coming back from a trip to guidance during lunch which was my study. I was stopped by security as I have several times last week. I showed him my senior pass and yet I was still declined access to the rest of the school. After seeing the roadblock I was encountering, I stormed into the main office and walked into Mrs.Pries's office. I explained my problem and she said that Seniors are soon going to have to use passes again . My concern for student rights was obvious and she told me to sit down. She said Security is making changes to rules and that she has nothing to do with the changes. In my quick thinking I said that it seemed a little too convenient that these policies are being put in place just before the NEASC visit. She then said it had nothing to do with that, which I do believe though because she wants to extend these new rules for the rest of the year.

When I asked for a pass back, to pass by security with, she asked where I was headed. I politely said one of the benches in senior hall because my backpack was still there. She told me seniors are now now longer allowed in the hallways during study and especially on the benches. I then expressed the amount of resistance she will find due to these policies and that it was taking away senior privileges. Seemingly she didn’t care and carried on with her day. I walked away knowing I had a secret weapon on my side, Ross Nizlek , the peoples voice. Later in the afternoon via phone I briefed him of the problems and he concurred with my position.

I see some heavy opposition coming in the days ahead. What’s worse is NEASC is here so if there is tension, it may look bad. Let’s wait and see if more students complain, I imagine they will. Hopefully the rules will go away after NEASC is gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.coolcounters.com