Did I mention?

This blog contains commentary on my life at college and at home. I have been recently including my pursuit for a better resident life here at my own school. This will be an ongoing theme among many posts intertwined with various other issues.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The manikins are talking ...

From the moment I step foot into school today, I knew that if I wasn’t already prepared, I didn’t have a prayer. As a friend and I walk down to the lower gym, we sit atop the balcony. Looking down onto the gym floor, I see 3 different manikins lying next to a tall ladder. I suddenly see what this is all about. Our instructor hands us the schedules for the practical. I am one of the first to go. I grab my stethoscope, bp cuff, penlight and gloves, head down the stairs and wait to be directed.

First up was the medical station. The scenario was a female moving bags of fertilizer. One bag broke and created a cloud of dust all over. She was having difficulty breathing and coughing. I decided to pull her out of the area, as it was a hazard to the both of us. I applied O2 NRB at 15 lpm and then did a medical assessment. ALS was requested. I even called poison control to advise them that fertilizer has been spilled and is creating large amounts of dust into the air. Then I expressed what I would do in a ongoing assesment.

The second station was a trauma. A male had fallen from a ladder and was knocked unconscious. I approach the scene, keeping in mind initial assessment. I find the victim to only responding to pain (AVPU). After applying O2 NRB at 15 lpm I decide to do a rapid trauma assessment (I did mention to apply an airway, I didn’t actually perform it). I requested ALS support immediately. While moving down on the victim he moaned once I began to press on his iliac crest. I quickly ran down the rest of the extremities then exposed the area of pain/concern.

Afterwards I asked for a sample and did not get one. I then proceeded to an ongoing assessment which normally would be in the Ambulance and anticipated for ALS intercept.

All and all, I believe I passed. I might have forgotten to mention a step or two. You must keep in mind I was incredibly nervous and much of the morning is a blur.

Tomorrow I have off.

1 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, January 19, 2005, Blogger Ross said...

See that ABC Checkmark thing when you make a post? Let me introduce it to you, it's called Spell Check. Excellent tool, you might want to give it a try some time.

It will help you spell "manicans" more like "manikins" and less like "maniacs."

Otherwise a decent post, I'd be interested to know how you did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.coolcounters.com