Did I mention?

This blog contains commentary on my life at college and at home. I have been recently including my pursuit for a better resident life here at my own school. This will be an ongoing theme among many posts intertwined with various other issues.

Friday, April 01, 2005

Trendy I know but...

--
Live Strong
--

Show your support in the fight against diabetes! All proceeds go to help the American Diabetes Association achieve its mission: to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.


Please buy one of these as this disease personally affected my mother and currently affects my grandfather. Someday I may be inflicted with diabetes. Please show your support. This not only means a lot to me personally but to all those who suffer from diabetes.




( click the picture to link yourself to the ADA webpage to learn more and order a band )

Info on Diabetes -


Diabetes is a disease in which the body does not produce or properly use insulin. Insulin is a hormone that is needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy needed for daily life. The cause of diabetes continues to be a mystery, although both genetics and environmental factors such as obesity and lack of exercise appear to play roles.

There are 18.2 million people in the United States, or 6.3% of the population, who have diabetes. While an estimated 13 million have been diagnosed with diabetes, unfortunately, 5.2 million people (or nearly one-third) are unaware that they have the disease.

Type 1 (what my mother had and my grandfather has ) diabetes is usually diagnosed in children and young adults, and was previously known as juvenile diabetes. In type 1 diabetes, the body does not produce insulin. Insulin is necessary for the body to be able to use sugar. Sugar is the basic fuel for the cells in the body, and insulin takes the sugar from the blood into the cells.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.coolcounters.com