Did I mention?

This blog contains commentary on my life at college and at home. I have been recently including my pursuit for a better resident life here at my own school. This will be an ongoing theme among many posts intertwined with various other issues.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Large Scale Something

--

As a friend and I come back from geo caching (blog entry to come soon on it) I hear a call on my scanner that there is a beacon of a plane coming from the town line into the next town. Someone assumed it was a down plane so naturally everyone with arms and legs responded. As I sit listening for the time being, I wonder what the hell is going on. I quickly learn this is a multi-town effort and there is to be a large staging area near by. I call to my Lt. and ask if I and another explorer should respond and assist. After a few phone calls, I hear Eagle 1 (state trooper helo) over my house and circling the suggested "crash sight". As I gather more information and pull up several maps, I hear several different firemen radioing from trails in the nature preserve (1,000 acres large). My EMT friend of mine was at the staging area in 852 awaiting any patients and helping to man the radios.

The other explorer that I mentioned earlier decides to drive by the scene and at least see what is going on, as I haven’t heard whether I should respond and assist yet. There were a few ERT (SWAT) guys and several fire trucks, ambulances and police cars from all over in this one parking lot.

After a few hours, my EMT friend calls and tells me the search is scratched as there is no sight of any planes any where in the preserve.After hours of searching for a downed plane near a reservoir in Easton, authorities say there was no downed plane. The ground search ended in the evening. However, the FAA shortly discovered the distress signal actually came from a boat parked at the Stratford Marina with something called an emergency locator transmitter. The FAA say it was probably turned on accidentally and was shut off.Either way, it’s good to know that our emergency response teams are here to help at any time and in great condition.

Pics taken of TV News Footage. I understand they are terrible. Just to paint some idea in your mind as to what I am talking about.




1 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, March 26, 2005, Blogger Ross said...

Nice to see what the staging area looked like, seeing as I was stuck at incident command. You've probably seen more on TV than I did, I was just listening to the radios.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.coolcounters.com