Did I mention?

This blog contains commentary on my life at college and at home. I have been recently including my pursuit for a better resident life here at my own school. This will be an ongoing theme among many posts intertwined with various other issues.

Monday, April 18, 2005

Africa

--
Live Strong
--

I've been doing a bit of thinking. Once I get my EMT cert. I would like to not only work with local EMS but rather world wide were any medical assistance is scarce. From the research I have done, it appears though my cert doesn’t apply internationally, they (the foundations) will accept it as a medical expertise of a kind.

In rural areas of Uganda for example, the need for any medical assistance is severe. If I could make some tiny difference, it would make my visit worth its weight in gold. Though I have a feeling I would primarily dealing with HIV related cases, I assume there are plenty of other emergencies. Uganda has more than 1 million people living with HIV. They also have high rates of AIDS-related tuberculosis and cancer.

From what I gather, anyone who travels there to help must be prepared to deal with the lack of basic infrastructure, which can cause critical treatment interruptions and compromise the pt. Basic survival for patients hinges on a consistent supply of medicines from international aid organizations. The more that is at our disposal the better.

I know you may be thinking why in God's name I would do this. I simply feel the need to help. Something is compelling me to go. Don’t ask me what it is, I just know something is.

The danger can be rather high, but it adds some excitement to my life for once!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.coolcounters.com